Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Recycled Content

Now I’ve been wondering as of late why comics don’t publish the amount of recycled content on their paper stock?

Yeah yeah go make jokes about the recycled stories. I was thinking they met their recycled content with the plots and costume changes - ZING!

But seriously, why isn’t this on the books? I know I’d appreciate it and if I had the choice between two new books I’m interested in and can only buy one I’d probably go for one printed on 100% recycled paper. I think Raincoast books is printing the Louis Riel softcover and they use 100% ancient-forest-free, chlorine-free, 100% post-consumer recyled paper.

I think the comics industry can be a leader here without making us pay through the roof to get environmentally friendly books. Try using vegetable based inks and recycled paper instead of the glossiest piece of paper you can find that I can't read in a room with lights or sunlight. I know the comics industry is looking for ways to market itself and if every publisher could show up anywhere and say each of our books is printed on 100% ancient-forest-free, chlorine-free, 100% post-consumer recyled paper with vegetable inks making it the most environmentally responsible form of printed entertainment, I think more people would sit up and listen. I think you'd bring new people into the industry as well. People will criticize you for your content so reduce their ability to criticize you for the lack of recycled content in your paper stock.

I just plant these ideas hoping they'll take root. Discuss.

No comments: