Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I want cheap colour and New Avengers editorial nightmare

So I finished Showcase: Superman last night. And I could go on about the sheer insanity again or try to find a scanner to show the panel that I’m pretty sure shows Jimmy Olsen as a baby about to get molested by his neighbour. I am now questioning my sanity at purchasing the Showcase: Superman Family before reading much of the Superman collection. I just don’t have the mindset for these at the moment. I guess it’ll be one of those books resting on my shelf for a long time before I get to it. I want to enjoy these and share in the humour but I’m finding it … um…grating.

But I did have a notion. I would pay twice as much for these collections if they were on the same cheap paper with classic colour. I don’t need glossy paper with uber-new colours. I like newsprint paper with the dot-colouring. Hell, I’d like more comics to print on cheaper paper with cheaper colour if it reduced the cost a bit. I don’t need each page to look like a fantasy calendar. Mind you, I do like seeing the pure inked lines in these collections so whatever.

So I never got around to listing all those comics I’ll be selling because there was playoff hockey on and I was invited out for dinner. But I will write what I forgot to mention yesterday. New Avengers needs a bit more editorial attention. In each issue the number of convicts changes. It goes from 42 to 44 to 46. I can live with that because I’d assume that a massive prison break of supervillains would cause of bit of confusion. So as the dust settles the authorities get a better grasp of the situation. What I don’t accept is that in one issue (either 3 or 4) Stark Tower is founded in 2004 where in the next issue it’s founded in 2005. I know that Stark drank a lot for a while but I doubt he’d forget an entire year where he founded a massive structure that reshapes the skyline of New York. I’m just saying. These are the petty mistakes that really grate me but I don’t buy the book anymore so I shouldn’t really complain too much.

Oh and damn you internet. You’re making me want to buy Nova and Daredevil when I was thinking of cutting out Hulk. I want to save a bit of cash since I’m getting married in a few months and comics will be the big cut I’m thinking. Then I change my mind. It goes like this all day every day for me.

1 comment:

joncormier said...

Aahh the second season of hockey. I've been in Ottawa a bit too long to expect them to come together and pull off a final showing. It could happen but they just seem to "give up."

I know a guy who plays for San Jose, and my brother in law's brother played a few seasons with Nashville.