Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Dream Career Move, World's Colliding, and Chainsaw Bayonets

Okay, again little to no comic content today for which I apologize. I'm trying, I really am but I don't seem to be reading much comic book related material this week (or last for that matter).

Anyway, I was actually reading Posy Simmond's Gemma Bovery and really enjoying it. Such a wonderful change of pace to what I pick up weekly. Stay tuned for a better mildly informative review at a future date. So, I was reading this book and the television was turned to TLC when Honey, We're Killing the Kids came on and I discovered a very funny television quirk. Whenever they show the kids as the morbidly obese adults they tend to have either no hair left or a terrible haircut, cheapass glasses, some kind of moustache and possibly bad teeth to go with it. When they show the healthy adult the images have stylish glasses, well groomed facial hair and really nice haircuts, not to mention what appears to be fancier clothes. Now this may be an actual measured phenomenon, I'm not a scientist so I can't say for sure but the fat images generally look poor and unsuccessful - it may be a comment about self confidence and self-image issues that are connected to obesity but I can't say for sure.

All I know is that I want to be the dude who takes the photos and makes laughable fat people out of fat kids. It's as close as I can get to being an actual mad-scientist reshaping humans to my evil purposes - kind of interning for eventual world domination.

-----

Also, my wife read both Buffy comics last night. It was a bit creepy. Next, I'll be reading The Devil Wears Prada if these worlds continue to collide.

-----

Why didn't anyone tell me how utterly fantastic Gears of War is for the X-box 360. I spent way too much time playing this split-screen co-op over the long weekend. It's a fantastic narrative that just works on every level. Beautiful computer graphics, tense action, mature dialogue, and a truly engaging experience. It should get boring to keep ducking behind cover, peeking out to shoot aliens, running and ducking in a slow advance to the next boss fight but it never ever gets old. If you don't have access to an X-box 360 (like me who relies on a friend) and don't plan on getting one anytime soon or making friends with video gamers, then all I can say is that the entire game is like the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan only with bad-ass sci-fi soldiers with chainsaw bayonets on their guns fighting aliens who don't drop on one hit. Generally I get bored playing games where you keep repeating the same thing over and over in a slightly different environment but this game just sucked me in and wouldn't let me go.

No comments: