Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Labour of Love

Brownsville
Written by Neil Kleid
Illustrated by Jake Allen

This is a book that I should have liked a lot more than I did. It has pretty much everything I like. Good looking art, gangsters, interesting story and characters plus it’s set in New York City in the thirties. So why wasn’t I totally in love with it.

Well, it seems like a cop out but I really had a hard time distinguishing one character from another, and while the story as a whole is interesting I felt I was lost on more than one occasion. I don’t want to sound like I didn’t like this at all, there was a lot to enjoy and for the most part it is good comics, but there was just something about it that was off. It could be the actual book or it could just be the mood I was in while I read it, if that makes any sense. I sort of feel that I was just not in the right mood or I was distracted and that’s what took away from the work. Then again, maybe not.

What is it about? Jewish gangsters in New York. What happens? Honestly, I can’t remember a lot of it. It feels a lot like a first book for the writer, and with that in mind I can be much more forgiving. There is a great base here from which to grow, I was just hoping for a bit more clarity I guess but if you ask me precisely what it was that was off, I’m not sure I can answer to anyone’s satisfaction.

So it’s good but not the best thing I’ve read. It’s enjoyable but not throughout, and while I did actually like the story as a whole some of the pieces were just confusing to me. Still, there is a lot of much much worse stuff I read on a weekly basis so if you have any interest in gangster comics or comics about New York this is well worth your time. The package that this book comes in is top notch and the actual package you pick up is enjoyable and quite simply fun to read.

No comments: