Monday, July 09, 2007

For some reason I can't title this post.

I just watched it on DVD and I really really like Superman Returns for exactly all the reasons people don’t like it. It’s a movie that is intimate and introspective starring the most powerful being on earth. They do all the things you don’t expect or probably shouldn’t do with Superman and it works beautifully for me.

He’s the outsider. He has a kid. He abandons the Earth to find out more about himself (sort of selfish). He’s made human and he’s also made more powerful than he’s ever been.

I’m not a huge fan of the bumbling Clark Kent or the goofy Luthor but I like that they follow the movie history of the characters. The only character I didn’t like was Lois Lane. I didn’t dislike her either but I just like the Lois from the animated series so much more. I just didn’t see a career woman here who is a better journalist than anyone else at the Daily Planet. Then again having the love of your life and father of your child return from a five year space journey would probably throw anyone. If I tell myself she was just sort of mixed up by his return then it works – and I hope that’s what they were getting at.

I like that this movie is slow and isn’t like any other superhero movie out there. I like it because of that, I just have no idea what they can do with Superman and child for a sequel. But if Singer is there I’m sure it’ll be done well.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I thought that Superman Returns was a good movie, just not what people wanted. Since effects have gotten so much more realistic latey, people expect to see big blow-out-wall-to-wall superhero fighting, not actual stories that deal with emotions and other stuff. That said, I would've liked some more punching, but I was happy with what we were given.