Okay, got tagged in the "8 Things People Don't know About You" thing. I'll put up 8 and then I'm supposed to tag 8 other people but I probably won't get more than two or three so, whatever. Also, a lot of my immediate circle of friends know this stuff, but the internet doesn't.
1. When I was living in London I had a temp job at Conran Restaurants just before the millenium bug was supposed to wipe out everything. I was working on their stocking records, updating their systems and whatnot. I was in charge of Red Wines and Spirits so got to spend a lot of time in the wine cellar of Le Pont de la Tour. One day I was the person left in the office to watch the phones and I took Arnold Schwartzenegger's reservation. He went with Gabriel Byrne for the End of Days opening weekend.
2. I like to come up with story ideas but I never write anything. For example, the other night I thought up the sequel to Hamlet as a zombie story and called it Night of the Sweet Prince.
3. The first time I ever left a movie to have a pee, Yoda died.
4. I had no idea the university I went to was Catholic until I got there. I was confirmed in the Catholic church when I was 12. The university is called St. Francis Xavier University. I don't consider myself Catholic and I won't raise my kids with any religion but there's no effing way I'm paying a church to get myself removed from their books or whatever.
5. My two favourite songs as a kid were Bob Dylan's Rainy Day Woman #12 and 35 and Like a Rolling Stone.
6. Monday morning I had a dream about an evil spirit or a wizard who had their essence bound to an object. The process of this binding, and the object were called a "Fong." But, instead of the object being a stone with ruins or whatever, it was a watermelon. Then someone bought the watermelon and the spirit transferred itself into the guy. I dreamt I would write this story from the point of view of the guy's spirit trapped in the watermelon and how this was about an essence being transferred from the soil to the watermelon plant or whatever. I was convinced it was brilliant until I was walking to work and had some coffee when I realized this was just stupid.
7. I find my current job exceptionally boring but I just got it and I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. I'd like to change things but I can't afford to although I'm slowly trying to.
8. In the 2000 Federal Eleciton I was the Green Party candidate in Saint John, New Brunswick. I got 2% of the vote, of which I'm really proud since I only campaigned for 7 days because my full time job was as the National Organizer of the party so I was responsible for all the other candidates as well. I know I could have done a lot better if it was the only thing I had to focus on but I was on a live televised debate so I no longer fear public speaking. I did it because I wanted to run for parliament at least once in my life and this was the opportunity to do it. I'm no longer political and I hate the Green Party with the white hot fire of a thousand suns because they are insane racists who need a lot of antipsychotics slipped into their vegan water supply.
Let's see, I tag Siskoid and Whatever your name is at A Trout in the Milk - also, if you read this and haven't been asked, consider it an open invitation.