Thursday, August 18, 2005

Why another blog?

The easy answer: Everyone else is doing it so why can’t I? I guess that’s more of a question than an answer.

Whatever, here’s the deal. A little over a year ago I started a new job in a Canadian political party. Yes, I know this has nothing to do with comics, but I’m getting there. This job finally gave me a bit of spending money after years of scratching by and paying off student debts. I worked through an unbelievably crazy election campaign and the aftermath. In the midst of that insanity I needed something to entertain me. Something easy. Something fun.

I noticed the comic shop almost next door to where I work so I popped in. I went in a few times in the past few years but more to just browse, flip through a few comics, and see what was being made into toys. I was also in a computer animation course and wanted some reference material so I bought some Tank Girl trades. I may talk about that computer animation course again in the future but now isn’t the time. But now I had money to buy things. I had no idea what I was doing or what I was looking for so I picked up an X-men comic and an issue of 100%, I think.

Anyway, I decided that I needed a bit of a break from politics so I thought I would throw myself into comics again. I went online to bring myself a bit more up to date. The last time I was even remotely collecting comics was for a year or so when I bought Excalibur and Wolverine comics and read whatever I could fit in whenever I visited my cousin’s house. I found out a little series called Identity Crisis was starting up and the idea for it really intrigued me. I’ve been buying since, but I’m not truly committed to anything or any one series, company, creator or anything else. I tend to just check out what I think I would like.

I think that is where this blog will be going. I don’t have the history of attachment that most other comic blogs have. I hope that by sharing my experience here I can give others who are new or returning to comics some insight and hopefully some laughs. I hope to offer some resources for people to use in my links section which is currently made from 'my favourites' in my web-browser so if anyone sees any glaring errors or omissions, please let me know. You may be wondering why there is a politics section - I have plans to explain that in greater detail soon.

No comments: