Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wednesday's Loot - 28 March 2007

52 Week 47
We’re on the home stretch now and I’m thinking the bible of evil people have finally realized their mistake and are going after the proper daughter of Cain thus explaining the evil version of a certain character we saw one year later. Otherwise this was just a placeholder issue. Some plot points were tied up like rejecting membership into the Teen Titans, Montoya coming home, Bruce Wayne cooking his goose (metaphorically speaking), Wonder Woman having a moment, and a bit of Animal Man sprinkled into the mix. I do like the action figure sized Metal Men. I do have to say I like how Tim Drake is being portrayed ever since this book and the one year later stories have started. Even his little moments here make him really stand out as a great character who is both young and yet learning to take on responsibilities and grow into his role.
I rate this comic: A bunch of decent moments but not as great as the last one.

Batman #664
Finally more commando Man-bats and playboy Bruce Wayne in super-parachute-ski-action. Then I’m not sure I like the rest of the book. Oh, it’s interesting and presents a good idea but it feels a bit like a cheat as well. It’s about something we don’t get to see and know nothing about. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy this version of Batman and Bruce Wayne. I like that he’s beating up crooked cops and pimps while trying to help out the younger women. Although that hooker that looks sort of pregnant in the artwork was just a bit too creepy or perhaps realistic. This is really over the top action, and I hope it all makes sense in the end but I do wish it was a bit more one issue oriented – but that’s just me. I really don’t have a problem with decompressed stories but this one only makes the set up for the story very near the end of this issue which feels like a cheat to me.
I rate this comic: A great Bruce Wayne, Billionaire Playboy scene and a great Batman taking it to the streets for some info scene.

Godland #17
This is one of those comics I find hard to praise each time I get it. It is always delivering what I want it to and I’m always happy to read it. This time though I was a bit lost because I didn’t get a copy of the last issue. It just sold out before I could get my hands on it. I do love the nostalgic feeling this book introduces each month. Reading it makes me remember when “to be continued” wasn’t so reviled by me as a cheap excuse for lazy writing. This book always feels like it knows where it’s going and is having fun getting there all while managing to throw a lot of ideas at the wall to see what sticks.
I rate this comic: Cosmic fun.

I also picked up the Marvel Adventures: Avengers issue with MODOC and Batman: Snow trade but haven’t read either yet. I’ll just assume they’re both good.

No comments: