Monday, November 06, 2006

Hellblazer: All His Engines

I totally meant to have a review for this book up on Halloween, but I'm sort of like a deer these days. Distracted by bright shiney objects and feeling like I've been hit by a car.

This was a mystical horror comic done the way I like them. Equally disgusting and beautiful to look at. The story was extremely clever, using flashbacks in a manner that I don't think I've seen before. And, for once, there's unpronouncable names that weren't actually made up. Sorry, but I can't pronounce any of those Aztec or Mayan god names.

If you've never read a comic with John Constantine in it before then this may be a useful volume for you. The history of Constantine at the back of this volume was rather useful and engaging. But basically, he's a working class magi who will pretty much do whatever it takes to save his own skin. It usually means that you don't want to be his friend no matter how much you may think he's a great character. But oddly, these sacrifices are necessary, not just because it's a character trait but because underneath it all you know that it is more important to have this one major player alive than a few innocents. It's an admission of everyone's dark truth, not just Constantine's, which makes him an extremely powerful character.

As for the plot - it involves hell on earth and a deal made with an ancient god that screws over other demons. Which, oddly, seems rather similar to the story arc in Angel: season 4 that I'm watching on DVD.

No comments: