Friday, August 19, 2005

Required post about DC's crisis

I know I should give a bit more detail about how I returned to comics or list the top ten books that got me interested again. I won’t be doing that right now because I think others have already done it better than I could. In particular The Derilict at Flying Inn and the Comicbookslut, although I’m pretty bored with lists of books to give non-comics fans even though I realize I’ll post on it sooner or later.

There is also Seguential Tart’s 50 Essential Graphic Novels and The Derelict expressing the same feelings I had about Marvel and DC upon my return. I know the Crisis infusion that’s going on now isn’t sitting well with a lot of people, but it doesn’t bother me. It seemed like a good jumping-on point for me, someone who never really bought DC books before except the occasional Batman. I have to admit that I’ve been enjoying the minis connected with the Countdown with the exception of Day of Vengeance which never interested me from day one. Because of the blogs I read, I feel like I really shouldn’t be enjoying these miniseries as much as I am. I don’t know the entire history of the DCU, but I’m having fun and that’s really the point for me.

Although, I do need to qualify this. I was really enjoying Omac until I realized that I missed four issues between issues 3 and 4. It made me understand the concerns of the dedicated online fans and really didn’t sit well with me. I’m not so sure if I’ll be continuing that one now it’s left such a bad taste in my mouth. But I think it’s only because I was enjoying the series so much that this is such a pisser. I would have happily bought the rest of the series as it came out if it was 6 issues or 10 issues, but this feels cheap. And now all the tie-ins. Again, this didn’t bother me so much, but now that Omac went to pot I’m looking at all of this with a bit more trepidation.

I've also heard that these aren't great "gateway" books into the DCU. Poppycock! Those of us enjoying the books are willing to find out more about the characters that show up and aren't immediately recognizable. We're not all lazy sods. Then again the occasional caption would be nice from time to time. If a book is good, it is good and encourages those of us who are interested to find out more. What's wrong with creating a bit of community by getting us newbies to ask others who these characters are, and just what the deal actually is?

No comments: