Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Things to look forward to...

I was reading Augie De Blieck Jr's most recent Pipeline column over at CBR and the two things I was most excited about were:

Cinebook returns with a new edition of LUCKY LUKE, titled BILLY THE KID. It's a 48 page translated paperback for just $10, featuring "the cowboy who can shoot faster than his own shadow."

And

Gemstone goes back to the well for more of CARL BARKS' GREATEST DUCKTALES STORIES. This second volume reprints -- at full size, not digest size -- at least three of Barks' original stories which were later adapted to episodes of the daytime animation-saving series, DuckTales. "The Giant Robot Robbers," "The Golden Fleecing," and "The Unsafe Safe" are all in this one, for just $10.95. If you're a DuckTales fan who's never read Barks' stories before, this is the perfect entry point for you. It's a great selection of stories, and much of them should be warmly familiar and comfortable for you.

Apparently I'm going into some retroactive childhood zone or something.

- - - - -

I'm looking forward to 52. It's going to be an interesting experiment with the comic book form and industry nevermind the storytelling requirements. I'm hoping for something in the spirit of the first couple of seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They were connected but also generally self-sustained episodes.

- - - - -

I'm STILL waiting for the second Animal Man trade to be delivered to me (1-2 weeks my ass)! But I can't wait to get back into the stories. It'll be a joy to get reading on my back list again.

- - - - -

I'm going to stick with Civil War. I know I should swear off these big event mini-maxi-series but I think it's time to give Marvel a chance again. I still think it's a fairly daring project for a large public company.

Mike Sterling chimes in on the war and you can now vote for whose side you're on. As long as it's one of the sides I made up.

- - - - -

I realized something today. In the Villains United special Oracle is praised for using the same information Batman was condemned for. Weird huh?

Okay, she didn't feed the information into a rogue satelite system that used the information to try and wipe out the planet after it fell into the hands of a despotic Maxwell Lord, but still. She's got records on the private lives of superheroes. Get with the condemning already. It was also a plot point in JLA: Year One when the Martian Manhunter kept tabs on the xenophobic human heroes bent on defeating aliens.

- - - - -

I've changed my user i.d. photo to this (someday I may even buy the collection):

No comments: