Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wednesday's Loot - 1 February 2006

Only two books today. Rex Libris #3 and my hidden shame, Rann-Thanagar War: Infinite Crisis Special. I haven't read Rex Libris yet. I have a strange relationship with that book. I wasn't in love with it at first and I'm still not completely sold but I like the ideas and the art enough to keep coming back to it. I feel about this book how I thought I'd feel about Local.

So without further ado....

Rann-Thanagar War: Infinite Crisis Special
This seemed like an expensive way to introduce the Ion series. And maybe if your book is about a pretty boy you shouldn't remove his face? I'm just saying. Again, this series proves that war is pointless. I like to think I'm not a sucker but I really do act like a sucker. I guess I'll have to go buy that Spiderman issue with the new costume now. Fuck.

Kurt Vonnegut was on the radio today. He was talking about how he wanted to write a book about a comet the size of the moon hurtling towards the earth and we knew it was coming. The way that people would deal with it is to pretend it wasn't happening. It's how he thinks we're dealing with fossil fuels currently. I agree with him on that. But it's how I felt when I read this. I knew the series was less than stellar but I bought this anyway, like I'll buy the Omac one, and just won't admit to myself that the whole thing is horrible as long as I can make a joke about it.

I rate this story: Not worth the price on the cover just to see Kyle Rainer's new costume that you've already seen online and made fun of snarkily.

No comments: