Wednesday, March 04, 2009

One of these things is not like the other...

So, today I went to the TSN trade centre website to check out whether or not anything is happening early this morning on the NHL's trade deadline. While there were no updates, I did notice the list of sponsors along the bottom of the site. There are your constant sports sponsors - sports shops, fast food restaurants, beer companies. But near the end was a blood splattered smiley face.

Now, I know that your average sports fan will go see Iron Man or Spider-man or Batman movies, but I'm not so sure there will a lot of love for Watchmen. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I wish I could remember how V for Vendetta did when it was released for a bit of context for this release.

Anyway, I just thought it was a bit odd there. Happy consumerism and post-modern deconstruction of the entire genre of superhero comics and the form of comics itself just doesn't seem to flow for me. I'll still go see the movie at some point because I'm reasonable enough to know it won't affect my love of the book.

No comments: